Assignments,  Blog Posts

“Bridges of Connection” Blog post #3

In Walt Whitman’s poem “Crossing Brooklyn Ferry,” the focus is on the significance of everyday experiences, especially the daily commute. For many, this might seem like a boring routine, but Whitman finds a deeper connection in it. He illustrates how the speaker feels a powerful bond with other strangers who are also on their way somewhere. This idea brings together everyone who shares those commuting moments, making his points very relatable.

For me personally, when I get on a crowded subway or bus, I feel that connection with the other passengers. Each of us has our own stories and experiences, but we all share the same space, going through a similar situation together. For instance, during a rainy week, I noticed people sharing umbrellas and chatting, which created a sense of kindness and unity. Whitman’s depiction of such moments reminds us how important human connections are, even if they are brief.

In conclusion, Whitman effectively conveys the connection between individuals and the crowds of commuters in his poem. His words encourage us to recognize the shared experiences that shape our collective identity. My own commutes back this idea up, highlighting the beauty of the connections we make in our daily lives.