Blog Posts,  Introductions

My Journey to a Bright Future

My name is Khusniya Makhmudova, and I am 22 years old. I hail from the magnificent city of Samarkand, renowned for its rich history, stunning architecture, and cultural heritage. From a young age, I dreamed of a life beyond the confines of my hometown. This dream led me to New York City in January 2022—a city that never sleeps and is brimming with opportunities.

I enrolled at LaGuardia Community College, which quickly became my second home. My aspiration to become a nurse stems from a deep-seated desire to help others. In Uzbekistan, I witnessed how medical professionals could transform lives for the better, and this desire continued to grow within me. I admire those in the medical field and understand that this profession requires not only knowledge but also immense compassion for others. I am confident that I can make the world a little better by becoming a nurse.

Almost immediately after starting my studies, I recognized that mastering the English language was a crucial aspect of my journey. I was thrilled to learn about the CLIP program at LaGuardia, which significantly improved my language skills. The program was intensive and highly effective, allowing me to better understand my instructors and communicate with my classmates. Each new lesson instilled confidence in me, and with every successful exam, I felt new horizons opening up.

While academics are important, those who know me well will attest that cooking holds a special place in my heart. I adore cooking, and it serves as my way to unwind and delight my loved ones. The memories of standing in the kitchen alongside my mother as she taught me how to prepare plov or manti remain with me to this day. I strive to blend traditional recipes with new ingredients and techniques I have discovered while living in New York. Each time I create something new, I feel a connection to home, even when I am on another continent.

My environment at college also plays a crucial role in my success. I am surrounded by individuals from diverse cultures, each bringing something unique to my life. We support one another, sharing experiences and achievements, creating a vibrant atmosphere within our community. Every day, I learn something new, and this empowers me to move forward.

Ultimately, I hope to combine my medical skills with my passion for cooking to inspire others and make the world a little better. My journey is just beginning, and I eagerly anticipate what the future holds for me. I am confident that with perseverance and love for what I do, I will achieve my goals and leave my mark on this world.

• Beata (she/her)

Hi Khusniya, it’s really nice to meet you! Your story of moving from Samarkand to New York is very inspiring. I admire your strong dedication to becoming a nurse and how your experiences in Uzbekistan made you want to help others. It’s clear that you have a big heart and care a lot about making a difference. I also love how cooking connects you to your home and family, while also letting you explore new recipes in New York. It’s great that you’re blending your traditions with new ideas. Your journey shows how strong and passionate you are about learning and growing. I’m looking forward to learning with you and seeing what the future holds!

• Paul Fess

Hi Khusniya, great to meet you! Samarakand sounds so interesting, and I think it’s great that you’re taking your experience there and applying it to your studies and interest in the medical field.